Just 2 days left until Thanksgiving! Here is where the stress would start to set in, but because we’ve been following this fool proof plan, we are stressed about anything else but Thanksgiving.
Today is the day where the seriously last minute pop ups and changes start happening. Don’t freak out! Just make it work. Here’s how:
- Last Minute Guests. If you have add ons to your guest list, don’t stress about adding more food. You’re likely making so much that its better to have more guests to reduce your abundance of leftovers after the main meal. If you’re stressing about dishes or service ware, start calling on friends and close guests to help. At the very least, consider doing a mix match on the table. If you have a solid white dish set, exchange one white plate with your china at every other place setting. It will flow on the table and give you plenty for guests to eat on.
- You can’t find certain ingredients. If grandma’s recipe calls for a specific ingredient that is just impossible to find, consider some alternatives. No, it won’t be exactly the same, but YOU are hosting Thanksgiving and there is nothing wrong with giving an old recipe a new spin. Thankfully, the Internet has a slew of unattainable goods that can make it to our doorstep within 24 hours. Place those last minute orders now if you need to.
- You forgot to order the turkey or the supermarket ran out. Make the executive decision to switch it up this year and make a Thanksgiving Ham. On our table, we always manage to have both, but freaking out because you couldn’t get a turkey this year won’t change the fact that you can’t get a turkey. If your family truly loves you, they will understand. If they don’t, look up a few hotels in your area offering a Thanksgiving buffet and politely offer them to go there instead.
- You get home and the dog destroyed the house. Listen, it can happen. Even if you don’t have pets, there is always the possibility that something unexpected can pop up. Getting stressed in these instances will not help you achieve the bottom line. Get the house as in order as you can and laugh it off afterwards. Remember, this is supposed to be an enjoyable, relaxing day, so make it one 🙂
Now that all that is out of the way. Here’s the crucial to dos for today:
- Defrost your turkey! If you haven’t yet, get the bird in your fridge as soon as you can today. If it is a particularly heavy bird, allow it to thaw a few hours in a clean, empty sink after you get home today. Before you go to bed, pop it back in the fridge and leave it there until you’re ready to brine tomorrow or whatever prep you have in place.
- Press your linens. Everything else should be set, so take a minute to make sure your linens are pressed, if you’re into that on your holiday table.
- Laugh. While you’re doing the above, stream the Thanksgiving episode of Friends to help relieve a little stress if you have it 🙂
Get ready for the day before festivities! Tomorrow, we’ll be doing a little more to prep some dishes ahead of the day. Until then, a votre sante!