Ok. Are your lists ready? Did you order your turkey and pies? If you didn’t, you’re down to the wire today, but you may be able to get that order in. Do it!
For me, I’ve collaborated with my sisters-in-law to have everyone bring at least one dish. Hosting a pot-luck style dinner is always a huge help for any kind of dinner party, especially if you are all about last minute. My list is simple:
- Appetizers: Homemade Onion Dip & Creamy Cheese Puffs
- Turkey & Gravy
- Mashed Potatoes
- Caramelized Carrots & Peas
- Pecan Pie
My sisters-in-law & parents will be bringing organic ham & glaze, green bean casserole, sausage stuffing, and apple pie. Our feast is set! (Check out my brine recipe below!!)
So, on to day 2. You have your recipes and your shopping lists, so today is all about shopping. Since we are about 5 days away, most of the perishables will keep, so don’t worry too much if you think it’s too early. If you aren’t sure or are particular about food keeping in the refrigerator, freeze what you need, but make sure to remember to take frozen items out well enough ahead. Don’t worry, I’ll remind you in a future post!
- Stores to hit today:
- Bed Bath & Beyond or other store for those linens and tools you need but didn’t order online. I ordered my items yesterday and had them available for pick up at my local BB&B so I don’t have to worry about shipping costs and potential delays.
- Costco or your local bulk buyers club
- Your local supermarket
- The liquor store! Don’t forget to pick up beverages for your guests. We always have an abundance of whisky on hand, so I’ll be making our signature family drink “The Crispin Glover” with fresh local apple cider (recipe is below!)
- When you get home, plan how and when you’ll be cleaning the house.
- Hire Help! Despite your financial standing, hiring a cleaning crew to come in and dust, scrub, vacuum, fold laundry and whatever else they can help to do is a serious benefit to your last minute plan. Plus, as a last minuter, those precious hours you would have spent cleaning the house can be used for something so much more productive, including wrapping up those long days at work. Hire someone to come do a big clean on Monday or Tuesday and all you’ll have to do is tidy up the morning of.
This should get you in good shape for day 2. If you didn’t finish washing and pressing linens yesterday, keep at it today and finish that up. Don’t stress about folding laundry if the cleaning crew offers that as part of their service.
Happy Saturday all! A votre sante!